Monday, November 29, 2010

It may be crazy but...

The challenge: To write 18,000 words in two days.


Possible? Yes.


Likely? Uncertain.


History:

1. This NaNoWriMo started out relatively sluggish for me. I managed to post my daily word count and stay ahead of the daily goal, but didn’t have any banner word count days.

2. Previous NaNoWriMos have been much easier to complete. (I credit this to better outlining and preparation for those years. After all, this is the first November in which I have moved in addition to NaNoWriMo.

3. In 2008 I finished 50,000 words in only ten days.

4. On occasion I have managed a 10,000 or more word day during NaNoWriMo.


Obstacles:

1. Work. Yes, NaNoWriMo is work in a sense, but I mean the kind of work that someone else values enough to pay you to do. I can’t drop that just because I’m behind on NaNoWriMo. I have finished today’s work, but some precious hours tomorrow will inevitably be eaten up by work.

2. Moving. Right now my apartment looks like someone is in the process of building a really cool fort. Or has a compulsion to hoard cardboard. Either way, there is a constant temptation to unpack and organize. Even if I resist the temptation, the piles of boxes make it harder to move around the apartment, so trips to the kitchen for food and bathroom breaks will necessarily take longer than they other would.

3. Writers group. Ah, the irony! But tomorrow I must attend a meeting of the Bethlehem Writers Group at 7 o’clock. These meetings generally go until 10, so that means I will use 3 hours of precious writing time right at the end of November 30th.


Analysis: 18,000 words is a possibility, but I need a HUGE word count today to make it possible to finish tomorrow while still meeting my other obligations.


Wish me luck, I’ll check in later.

No comments:

Post a Comment