Saturday, December 18, 2010

An apology

If you stopped by the booth near the exit of Christkindlmarkt today, you may have noticed little balls of blue lint rolling around. Unfortunately, the culprit was my sweater. I blush to admit it, but so it is.

You see, one of the casualties of moving has been my wardrobe. I've had a lot of "I know it's here somewhere" moments when getting dressed, so last night, I decided to set my outfit out before I went to bed. I had the perfect sweater in mind for today's signing, but I hadn't seen it since the move, so I started hunting around in boxes hoping to find it.

I didn't.

I did, however, find a blue chenille-like sweater that I have only worn a few times. It wasn't what I planned to wear, but it's a pretty sweater, so I figured it would work. An all-too-quiet voice in the back of my head murmured something like, "There's a reason you don't wear this sweater," but it was late, and I had a signing in the morning, so I dismissed it and went to bed.

This morning, I looked the sweater over carefully. It seemed in good condition. I tried it on. It fit well. I figured I was fine.

Until I got to Christkindlmarkt. First it was the lint on the table, then the lint on the books, then the lint on the floor. Oh, it's so embarrassing! Soon, I was noticing blue dust in the air around me. I felt like Pigpen from the Peanuts cartoons... surrounded in a cloud of blue. Oh, how I wish I knew where my other sweaters were.

And, it didn't stop! Even when I got home tonight, the sweater was still shedding. I left a trail of blue lint as I walked through the apartment, and the red coat I wore all day is now purple. Purple! Honestly, it's amazing there's any sweater left.

But, at least I finally remember why I don't wear it.

Sunday, I'll be signing at the Clinton Bookshop in Clinton New Jersey, but never fear, the blue sweater will be staying home. Permanently.

No comments:

Post a Comment